Thursday, October 4, 2007

Exciting Happenings at the Hospital

So on Monday I was working my usual shift and we were kind of busy. (Nothing unusual for a Monday) But that day there was a code blue called in the ER (A code blue means someones heart has stopped) And my job as a phlebotomist is to go to wherever the code blue is called and wait there and see if they need my services. They did. I had to draw blood on basically a dead person. (They did end up reviving her)

So that was exciting but my night was not over yet. I got orders to go up to the nursery and draw blood on a brand new baby. I have never drawn blood on a baby. I have seen it done a few times and its basically the same as an adult except much much smaller. I used a tiny needle and stuck it in his tiny arm and actually got blood. I was shocked. I figured my first time I was going to miss.

I work again tonight and I hope we have a quieter night but a little excitement now and then is a good thing.

School is going good. I took my first tests last week and did good on most of them. Spanish is still an issue for me. If anyone knows a good way to study for it please help me out.

1 comment:

GRK_MMM said...

Exciting time. Maybe you could watch TV in Spanish, would help with pronunciation. here we get a bunch of channels in Spanish.